Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
Listen up! If your eyes need a break from the screen or you just prefer to listen on the go, you now have the option of having some Legal Management articles read to you. Look for the audio icon near the headline, click it and choose your playback speed. Give it a listen.
May: On the Cover
Raising the Value of Employee Reviews
Follow these 6 tips for effective performance management at your law firm.
Successful performance management should be a top priority for every law firm. But without the right plan and tools, the employee review process can be an administrative nightmare and can ultimately fall flat in its value to both the firm and its employees. Indeed,
96% of managers are not satisfied with their organization’s performance management system, according to research by Gartner. With the right strategy and tools, however, performance reviews can become a valuable asset for your law firm.
Below are tips for maximizing performance reviews through transparent communication, proper scheduling, integration of technology, continuous engagement, follow-up meetings and flexibility. Read more.
How to secure propriety information when staff members jump ship.
Most law firms invest considerable time and effort building skilled teams. But what happens when key employees leave your firm and head to competing organizations? Too often their hard-earned knowledge goes out the door with them. “Staff members are extremely valuable components of a law firm,” says Brad Adler, Partner and General Counsel in the Atlanta office of Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP. “Their departure can unexpectedly and dramatically disrupt an organization’s entire administrative efficiency.” Read more.
Getting to the Bottom of Burnout
If you're seeing signs of employee burnout, these tips can help you cut it off before it becomes a bigger problem.
Burnout is a tricky thing, and it feels like an even weightier term given the last year. You have to be on your toes when it comes to it, and when you least expect it, it can pause or even derail a career. If it’s happening with one of your firm’s
lawyers, it can trickle down to the firm’s support staff. Read more.
Earn CE Credit
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification, but some will also count toward SHRM, HRCI or CPE credit.
- Click here to read “Making Mental Health Matter” and earn one credit hour in human resources management.
- Click here to read “Where Are Your Markers” and earn one credit hour in self-management skills.
- Click here to read “Leading Through Change” and earn one credit hour in organizational development.
- Click here to read “Building a Better Budget” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to
read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal: Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.