Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
November/December: On the Cover
What’s on Deck in 2024 for Legal
Conversations on mental health, artificial intelligence and progressive recruitment will continue to be top of mind for the legal industry in the new year.
If we have learned anything in recent years, it’s that predicting trends can be a moot point.
But as we close out 2023, there are three areas that seem likely to be top of mind in legal. From the pressing issues of mental health to the integration of artificial intelligence (AI) and to reshaping recruitment strategies, the legal profession is poised for change. Read more.
Does Your Organization Need a Legal Operations Manager?
Find out why firms and departments could potentially benefit from having a legal ops professional oversee key initiatives and functions.
The growth of the legal operations manager role within legal departments has been well-documented in recent years. Between 2018 and 2020, the number of organizations that employed one increased by 24%, according to Gartner; a joint Association of Corporate Counsel and Corporate Legal Operations Consortium (CLOC) survey found more than half of the people in the position report directly to the general counsel. Read more.
Retooling Your Firm for Gen Z
Understanding what motivates this incoming workforce will be key to attracting (and retaining them) at your firm.
Here come the Gen Zers. As the fastest-growing component of the nation’s labor pool, Gen Z (those born between 1997 and 2012) are poised to have a major impact on the legal profession. Read more.
Unwrapping ALA’s New Strategic Direction
Automation Is Crucial to Improving the Client Lifecycle
Give the Gift of Inclusion This Holiday Season
Improve Client Experience and Retention with Nonfinancial Metrics
Why Law Firms Should Be Embracing Analytics
3 Legal Trends for Midsized Firms
Tips and Trends
Protecting and Growing Revenue Streams: Client Retention Takes Vision and Execution
Tips and Trends
Why Law Firms Must Act Now to Address Platform Fatigue
30-Second Stressbusters for Legal Professionals
Anniversaries, Awards and Appointments
What's Happening at Headquarters
Earn CE Credit
As of April 2021, Legal Management is no longer publishing new CE courses. Check out our archived courses below. They are still available!
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification.
- Click here to read “Making Mental Health Matter” and earn one credit hour in human resources management.
- Click here to read “Where Are Your Markers” and earn one credit hour in self-management skills.
- Click here to read “Leading Through Change” and earn one credit hour in organizational development.
- Click here to read “Building a Better Budget” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to
read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal: Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.