Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
January: On the Cover
Maximizing Your Knowledge Management Reserves
In recent years, some law firms’ internal knowledge management efforts have been increasingly influenced by external factors. Driven by a desire for more efficient legal service delivery — and an understanding of what firms are doing to achieve it — knowledge management practices have become top of mind for more clients. In today’s tight job and client services markets, a law firm’s knowledge resources can be a key way to distinguish it from its competitors. Read more.
Certify Your Career
It’s a great time to be on the hunt for a new job. Pandemic-induced early retirements and record numbers of people quitting have given job seekers the upper hand and their choice of jobs. If you’re looking to change legal organizations, now is the time to make your résumé to stand out from the email pile. And earning your Certifed Legal Manager designation can give you the edge over your competition. Read more.
Why Am I Avoiding This? (And What to Do About It)
You’ve done it again. It’s the night before an important project is due — a deadline you’ve known about for weeks now. You’ve had multiple opportunities to work on this, but for some reason you’ve waited until the last minute — again! — to get started. We’ve all put ourselves in this position before — but why do we do it? Is it because we have an innate character flaw or because we need to be more disciplined? Or is there something else behind this that causes us to constantly avoid certain projects or tasks in our workday? And, most importantly, what can we do about it? Read more.
Earn CE Credit
As of April 2021, Legal Management is no longer publishing new CE courses. Check out our archived courses below. They are still available!
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification, but some will also count toward SHRM, HRCI or CPE credit.
- Click here to read “Making Mental Health Matter” and earn one credit hour in human resources management.
- Click here to read “Where Are Your Markers” and earn one credit hour in self-management skills.
- Click here to read “Leading Through Change” and earn one credit hour in organizational development.
- Click here to read “Building a Better Budget” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to
read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal: Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.