- How long has ALA been in existence? The Association of Legal Administrators was founded in 1971.
- How many members does ALA have? ALA has nearly 9,000 members worldwide, representing more than 30 countries.
- Does ALA have a mission statement? Yes. ALA is the premier professional association connecting leaders and managers within the legal industry. We provide extensive professional development, collaborative peer communities, strategic operational solutions, and business partner connections empowering our members to lead the business of law.
- What are ALA's official goals? ALA's strategic direction focuses on four distinct areas: Member Value; Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Accessibility; Education & Professional Development; and Influence. Additional information is available on this webpage.
Education and Conferences
- What are the dates for future annual conferences? Please see the Annual Conference & Expo area of the site for continued up-to-date information about the Annual Conference.
- When will the ALA Annual Conference brochure be sent to members? The brochure for the Annual Conference & Expo is typically available for download in December or January each year. See the Annual Conference & Expo area the site for continued up-to-date information about the Annual Conference.
- Can nonmembers attend ALA conferences? Yes, individuals who are not currently members of ALA but who do meet the eligibility requirements for ALA membership are welcome to attend and participate. ALA members enjoy discounts on registration fees. Details specific to each event can be found within the webpages for that event.
- Can I get continuing education credit for attending ALA conferences and programs? Yes. ALA provides continuing professional education credit for many certifications. Please see the webpages for each event for more specifics.
- I've prepaid the registration fees for a conference. Can I get a refund if I have to cancel? Yes, ALA does allow for cancellations. The deadline dates to receive a refund vary from conference to conference. For specific cancellation terms, refer to the webpages for each event.
- Can I attend a conference outside my geographic region? Yes. Both members and eligible nonmembers may attend, regardless of geographic location.
- Could you tell me about ALA's webinars and e-learning opportunities? ALA offers webinars and e-learning courses throughout the year. For more information and a detailed schedule, see the area of the site.
- Where can I find my member ID number? If you are logged in, please go to "My Account|Account Details." Your ALA member ID will display about a third
of the way down the page. You can also find your account number by selecting "My Account|Account Details." Select Member Items in the blue navigation bar and print your ID card. You can also
contact ALA headquarters by telephone 847-267-1585 or email our membership department.
- Do member benefits extend to my immediate family? To employees of my firm? Some member benefit programs extend to family members and employees. For details on specific programs, see ALA Value in Partnership (VIP)® Program.
- Does ALA have any kind of placement service or job postings for legal management professionals? Yes. The ALA Job Bank is a nationwide job bank program for legal management professionals and legal support staff. You may post ads, view ads or post your résumé in the Career Center/Job Bank.
- What's the fastest way to receive materials ALA sells? ALA can provide next-day delivery on rush orders for products. Visit ALA's Bookstore for more information.
- Does ALA offer a certification program? Yes. The Certified Legal Manager (CLM)® certification program identifies qualified practitioners, ensures recognition of their expertise, and assists in their development and self-improvement by identifying a body of knowledge and establishing professional standards. Based on the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of Legal Management Professionals Study, conducted every four to seven years, the certification program allows qualified legal management professionals to demonstrate, through an examination process, a mastery of core areas of knowledge identified as essential to the effective performance of a legal management professional. See the Certified Legal Manager (CLM)® Program for more details about the program, including exam dates.
- Will ALA's certification be mandatory for membership? No. Certification is not required for ALA membership.
- Can nonmembers become certified through ALA's certification program? Yes, if they meet certification requirements. For details, see the Certification page of the website.
- What does a member receive for their membership dues? Networking and peer-to-peer learning are the top benefits of membership. Make connections and communicate with like-minded members around topics of special interest in the ALA Online Communities. Grow your network, share tools and resources, crowdsource ideas and more with your fellow members. Legal Management is your monthly digital educational magazine online. Legal Management Talk podcast delivers 15- to 20-minute episodes that feature event speakers, Legal Management authors and ALA leaders. A Job Bank, specifically for legal management professionals, with information and resources available to job seekers and employers. ALA offers its members a robust collection of diversity-related resources. ALA members SAVE with discounts offered on educational programming, research, business products and more. Volunteer opportunities allow you to develop your leadership skills.
- Does changing jobs affect my ALA membership? As long as you meet the criteria for membership, your membership goes with you to your new employer organization.
- I just lost my job. Can I continue my membership? Yes, anyone with an interest in legal management is eligible for ALA membership, provided they are not affiliated with a business partner or business partner-eligible company. Your membership will continue through the current membership term.
- What happens if I no longer qualify for membership, yet my annual dues were recently paid? As with many associations, dues are not refundable. If you have any questions, please contact the membership department at 847-267-1585.
- I am retiring. Can I continue my ALA membership? Yes. If you are not otherwise employed and your dues are current, you can retain your membership. Contact the membership department at 847-267-1585 to see if you qualify for reduced dues.
- How often is Legal Management published? Legal Management is published 10 times per year with one print issue that mails out around July.
- What is the employment profile of ALA members? The majority of ALA members are principal legal managers in private law offices. For more detailed information, see the ALA Demographics section of the site.
- What is an ALA chapter? An ALA chapter consists of a group of ALA members organized and chartered on a state, provincial or local basis to advance ALA's mission in a manner consistent with the policies of the international Association. Each chapter is established and operated in accordance with ALA's bylaws and objectives for chapters. Once you become an ALA member, you may join one of our chapters. Additional application and dues may be required by some chapters.
- Is membership transferable? No. ALA membership is issued to individuals, not to organizations. Membership is not transferable from one person to another.
- Do you accept credit card payments for membership fees, products and services? Yes. ALA accepts MasterCard, Visa and American Express as a means of payment. ALA also accepts checks and money orders. Purchase orders are not accepted.
- Are membership dues deductible? Contributions or dues to ALA are not deductible as charitable contributions for U.S. federal income tax purposes. However, dues payments are deductible by U.S. members as an ordinary and necessary business expense. Member dues are not used for lobbying expenses. Consult a tax professional for advice on your individual situation.
- Can a legal management professional belong to a local chapter without also being a member of the international Association? No. According to the ALA bylaws, all members of a chapter must be members of the Association.
- If I have left ALA or the profession in general, can I rejoin later? Yes, you can rejoin if you again qualify for membership. A new joined date is assigned when you reapply. If, however, you are now serving as a business partner, you are no longer eligible for membership.
- Can I join more than one chapter? Yes.
- For membership eligibility purposes, how does ALA define the terms business partner and consultant?
Consultant: An individual whose primary service generally involves the sale of intellectual property or expert advice to legal organizations, and who engages with multiple and changing clients. A consultant provides expertise on specific issues or projects.
Business Partner: Individuals employed by (or that own) a company in the business of selling goods, furniture, equipment, supplies, materials, software, technology, insurance, or other similar services or products to legal organizations are generally not eligible for membership in the Association.