Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
May: On the Cover
Leading Through Change
For employees who are struggling to help an ill parent or family member, employer-provided support can be a game changer.
Throughout the past year, Sonia Menon, Chief Operating Officer at Chicago-based law firm Neal Gerber Eisenberg, had begun to hear employees make remarkably similar comments — all involving ill family members they were trying to help take care of. One firm member was hoping to check in on her elderly mother, who wasn’t well, every day. An attorney getting ready for a trial had a parent who needed hip surgery. Another employee was preparing to move in with his father, who’d been diagnosed with cancer.
In the past 10 years, approximately 10,000 Baby Boomers a day have turned 65; 47% have two to three chronic health conditions, according to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services data.
With a growing amount of the workforce consisting of employees who have parents in that age group, many have found themselves trying to balance work with caregiving responsibilities they’ve assumed for a parent or older relative. Read more.
Navigating This Extraordinary Moment Together
Working From Home? Here's Your Cybersecurity Checklist
Earn CE Credit
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification, but it will also count toward SHRM, HRCI or CPE credit.
- Click here to read “Building a Better Budget” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal:
Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.