Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
January: On the Cover
Surviving Your Office Move
Moving is one of those life experiences that elicits a collective sigh from most. It's even more daunting if you're overseeing an entire office move, which can take several months of planning and involves herding an entire staff through the process — all while ensuring as little disruption to day-to-day business as possible.
Before you begin the moving process, you need a proper plan in place as well as leaders in your office to see it through. Otherwise, you could easily waste time, resources and energy that could have been spent on more important matters. Read more.
HR Automation for More Time, Less Headaches
Law firm human resources departments have a lot of ground to cover without enough hours in the day to cover it. HR professionals juggle multiple processes, shifting requirements and demands from above and below, as well as the need to nurture employee growth and satisfaction, keep positions staffed, retain good employees, handle issues and serve as the firm's Chief Happiness Officer. Read more.
Giving Back to the Future
After 14 years of approximately 40,000 to 44,000 new students enrolling each year, the number of prospective industry members entering U.S. law schools spiked to more than 52,000 in 2010 — and then promptly declined by more than 4,000 in 2011 and kept falling until 2016, when enrollment marginally increased by just nine students, according to the nonprofit Law School Transparency organization’s analysis of ABA data. Read more.
Earn CE Credit
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification, but it will also count toward SHRM, HRCI or CPE credit.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal:
Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.