Legal Management Magazine
Legal Management reports on topics within ALA’s five knowledge areas: Legal Industry/Business Management; Human Resources Management; Financial Management; Communications and Organizational Management; and Operations Management.
March: On the Cover
How to Attract a Loyal Client Base
Consumers have more choices than ever before thanks to an increasingly interconnected world. If they need legal help, they can hop on Google and find an online consultant, hire a law firm in a different part of the world or even try to build their own case using research they find on legal websites. What they’re looking for is convenience and an excellent experience and price point. Today, with so many options available to them, they can get just that.
With much more competition than ever before, law firms need to employ creative strategies to build a loyal client base. Read more.
Office Dating: Passion and Policies
When a Miami-based law firm merged with a smaller practice group recently, an unexpected hazard came along for the ride: a romantic relationship between a partner and an associate. “Soon after the merger I overheard two people in a conversation about a deposition,” recalls Paula J. Lawson, CLM, Firm Administrator for Genovese Joblove & Battista. A female associate was speaking in an insubordinate manner, charging that the male partner had not prepared her properly. “The whole interaction was being conducted in an argumentative manner, more like that of a married couple than two professionals.” Read more.
Roughly a decade ago, when law firms were fighting for a share of the reduced post-Recession demand for legal services, it wasn’t uncommon for clients to ask for a nontraditional pricing structure or cost reduction. More recently, though, some firms are finding the conversation has shifted from dollar amounts to asking how the firm is maximizing efficiency — something Ogletree Deakins has come across more often when responding to requests for proposals (RFPs). Read more.
Earn CE Credit
Members and nonmembers can read the article, then log in to take a test (members pay $49; nonmembers pay $69). If you pass with at least 70 percent, you will earn one CE credit hour. The goal is to help CLMs get the credits they need for recertification, but it will also count toward SHRM, HRCI or CPE credit.
- Click here to read “Building a Better Budget” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Cyber Risk Management: The Vital Role of Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in operations management.
- Click here to read “A Lesson in Leadership for Legal Management Professionals” and earn one credit hour in communications and organizational management.
- Click here to read “The Risk of Idolizing False Profits;” and earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Responding to a Request for Proposal:
Time, Money, People and the Law” and earn one credit hour in writing skills.
- Click here to read “How to Ethically Oversee Trust Accounts,” and to earn one credit hour in financial management.
- Click here to read “Confronting Addiction in the Law Firm,” and to earn one credit hour in substance abuse.
- Click here to read “The Ever-Evolving World of Legal Ethics,” and to earn one credit hour in ethics.