Call for Speakers
Deadline to submit: May 5, 2023.
ALA’s 2023 Intellectual Property Conference for Legal Management Professionals will be held September 21–22 at Omni Parker House Hotel in Boston, Massachusetts. Once again, we are seeking your expertise to help develop the best thought-provoking and engaging ideas for IP-focused sessions pertinent to legal management professionals.
Possible session topics include:
- Patent Center updates
- DOCX filings
- Legislative updates
- Patent annuity process
- Risk management
- Staffing structures
- Remote work
- Improving profitability
- Recruitment and retention of IP talent
- Artificial intelligence
- Attorney business development
- Workflow processes/productivity
- Strategic planning
Speakers’ proposals will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Is the topic innovative and relevant?
- Will the session help to elevate ALA and individual members within the legal profession?
- Will the session appeal to ALA’s seasoned legal management professionals as well as those new to their role?
- Is the session well-organized and designed to meet the needs of this particular audience?
- Will the session provide tips and/or tools that attendees can begin using right away?
- Is the session format ideal for this audience? Does it involve participants in meaningful application activities?
It’s recommended that you have the following information easily accessible before beginning the submission process:
- Session title
- Session description
- Three or four learning objectives
- List of specific activities (if any) you plan to use throughout the session to engage the audience
- List of co-presenters, including their bios and headshots (up to three are permitted)
About the Conference
ALA’s Intellectual Property Conference for Legal Management Professionals is the premier IP-focused forum for administrators working in a legal practice setting. Participants include legal management professionals with a wide range of professional experience and ALA’s valued business partners. This conference provides a unique opportunity for intellectual property specific learning, sharing ideas and experiences with colleagues, and expanding your network.
Give us your best presentation. You are limited to submitting a maximum of two different session proposals. Please note that, in most cases, we limit presenter involvement to no more than two sessions. We suggest that you first develop your submission as a Microsoft Word document, then copy and paste the information into the appropriate sections online. The online form does not have spell-check, so editing your information in advance will ensure greater accuracy.
Please note: Presentations must be educational; they cannot be sales pitches. We purposely strive to present sessions that are diverse in nature so that it enriches the learning experience for our members.
Decisions will be made in June 2023 and notifications will be issued shortly thereafter.
As a nonprofit, our Association can offer speakers a complimentary registration to the conference, but hotel and travel costs are the responsibility of the speaker. Occasionally, exceptions are made. If you would like an exception to be considered, please specify what costs you would like covered.
Our Mutual Commitment
Presenters agree to:
- Acknowledge they are available to speak during any time frame of the conference and as such will not request a change to the session time-frame assigned.
- Work closely and collaboratively with ALA staff to meet all deadlines.
- Not make substantial changes in session content or format without approval from ALA staff.
- Provide high-quality presentation materials in electronic format by the communicated deadline.
- Recognize that a conference presentation is an opportunity to share information and is not a platform for the promotion of business, practice, service or product.
- Be available for interviews, blog posts, podcasts or other conference activities associated with their expertise as mutually agreed upon.
In turn, ALA will provide presenters with:
- Their evaluation scores after the conference.
- Complimentary registration for the event, including all educational programs, meals and social events.
Two submissions per individual/company.
Direct questions to Kristy Perkins at [email protected].