Association of Legal Administrators Using Innovation to Elevate the Legal Industry
NATIONAL HARBOR, MARYLAND ― The Association of Legal Administrators’ (ALA) 2018 Annual Conference & Expo is taking place in National Harbor, Maryland, from Thursday, May 3, to Sunday, May 6. This year’s event delivers some big firsts for the Association and also brings back several popular offerings from the 2017 event.
“The 2018 Annual Conference is a memorable event that includes exceptional resources, outstanding education and fun networking events,” said Richard Nigon, CLM, ALA’s 2018 Annual Conference Committee Chair. “With more than 1,500 attendees, subject matter experts and business partners, we are the premier event in the legal management industry.”
ALA offers an e-learning program that features six-week, instructor-led online courses focused on Financial Management and Human Resources. Upon completion of both Financial Management courses or both Human Resources courses, individuals can earn a specialist certificate. For the first time, ALA is offering conference attendees an opportunity to complete half the requirements for the Legal Management Finance Specialist Certificate Program by taking the Finance Track at the Annual Conference & Expo.
Some other additions to the 2018 conference include the following:
- An all-new Idea Exchange: Secretarial Support Strategies
- Four ALA booths: ALA has four booths, each focused on one topic:
- Enhanced recognition of volunteer leaders and ALA chapters: ALA has a Volunteer Leader Lounge this year to recognize the nearly 200 members who dedicate countless hours of their time to the Association. Also, there are several regional huddle spaces throughout the Exhibit Hall that feature the accomplishments and activities of each of the ALA chapters in that region
- ALA has an increased international presence at the 2018 conference. To ensure that the members from other countries have a great experience, ALA will include an internationally themed Welcome Reception in the Exhibit Hall that allows the business partners and attendees some additional one-on-one time. International attendees will also have an International Attendee Lounge, a panel discussion titled “Global Perspectives on the Business of Law,” an International Idea Exchange and a luncheon as an opportunity for attendees from around the world to come together and discuss the unique issues that affect their firms and learn how law firm leaders from other parts of the world handle them.
“Inclusion is a theme that this year’s Annual Conference Committee has woven into this conference,” said Nigon Chair. At the start of the keynote address, he said, “You will experience ‘inclusion’ in our general sessions, many of our breakout education sessions, our networking events and our Exhibit Hall.”
What Did ALA Bring Back?
- A Certified Legal Manager (CLM)® Application Track that helps attendees earn the total number of credits necessary to apply for the CLM exam.
- Three Virtual Conference sessions taking place on Friday, May 4, that highlight important topics for anyone who was unable to attend live. Topics include:
- CM20: Building Trust and Respect in the Law Firm Through Understanding Behavior Styles ― Michael Nash
- OM22: Why Today’s Impatient, Impulsive and Intolerant Clients Are Leaving Your Firm ― David Avrin
- HR26: Accommodations and Leaves of Absence: Law Firms Confronting the FMLA and ADA ― Michael Cohen, JD
ALA’s Annual Conference & Expo provides access to knowledge, connections and market-ready solutions that transform change into opportunities. Whether new to the legal management industry or a seasoned professional, each attendee has the opportunity to learn from thought leaders and solve problems with their peers.
About the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA)
ALA is focused on the delivery of cutting-edge management and leadership products and services to the global legal community. It identifies and provides solutions to the most critical strategic and operational challenges its members and customers face today, and prepares them for the opportunities and challenges of tomorrow. For more information on ALA, visit alanet.org.
# # #