At-Large Director Position Description
Term Commencement: The term of an At-Large Director officially begins at the Annual Conference following the candidate’s selection. In order to provide effective orientation, continuity of initiatives and an overall smooth transition, the At-Large Director begins participating in meetings three to four months before the official term begins. The meetings include attendance at the Association Leadership Institute (typically held in February or March) and possible travel to assist in conferences not related to the Annual Conference. The majority of expenses relating to attendance at these meetings are paid by ALA. During this time prior to the official start of the term, the At-Large Director may be asked to participate in conference calls with regional leadership teams, special interest groups and/or ALA committees.
Individuals who commit to serve at this level of the Association are held to high standards of public decorum, dependability and service to the members. At-Large Directors are expected to attend various Board meetings, events and functions that occur during their term of office.
The At-Large Director participates fully in strategic planning and policy setting decisions and is expected to do so with the best interests of all members and the Association in mind. Like all members of the Board of Directors, At-Large Directors must be concerned with developing policies that serve the entire membership and promote consistency among regions and programs. All Directors serve as trustees for the Association and must discharge those responsibilities with the highest regard for member needs, a commitment to the enhancement of the profession and a high personal sense of ethics and trustworthiness.
At-Large Directors, like all leaders in the Association, are relied upon to advance creative strategies that promote the mission of ALA and inform members of the policies, programs and initiatives of ALA. All At-Large Directors shall exhibit and develop the attributes deemed important to leadership in ALA. Those attributes are: courage, vision, communication, passion, reliability, inclusiveness, balance, respect, professionalism, collaboration and integrity.
It is required that each At-Large Director support and abide by the Bylaws, Governance Practice Statements, Code of Ethics, Strategic Plan and Plan of Work of the Association.
Summary of Position: The At-Large Director is charged with an array of diverse responsibilities. However, there are core guidelines, responsibilities and duties that are essential in this role. As members of the ALA Board of Directors, At-Large Directors have policy making responsibilities that affect all aspects of the Association. The At-Large Director shall actively participate in assigned responsibilities as specified by the President or Board of Directors depending on any given year’s Plan of Work, including but not limited to: participation in task forces; working with independent members; working with regional leadership teams; and working with specific interest group(s). The At-Large Director will communicate ALA services to all members, potential members and other industry-related persons or groups; visit chapters as needed or requested; support strategic and administrative functions of chapters; promote ALA and convey the mission and goals of the Association; and encourage chapters and all members to adhere to the Association Bylaws, Chapter Performance Objectives and the ALA Code of Professional Ethics.
- Prepare for, attend and actively participate in all Board meetings as a voting member of the Board.
- Work in conjunction with the Regional Director of assigned region(s) to provide Regional Leadership Team support (e.g., team conference calls, chapter visits, assume the role of the Regional Director when the Regional Director is not available to perform responsibilities.)
- Work with ALA staff and others on financial and legal matters that may arise and when assigned.
- Ensure proper due diligence is conducted on potential Association volunteer candidates.
- Review, monitor and ensure compliance with ALA Bylaws, Code of Professional Ethics, Policies and Governance Practice Statements.
- Serve and/or chair on assigned task forces or other committees and be accountable to the Board for the work product of those groups, as requested.
- Work with the Regional Leadership Team to establish direct contact with members and promote regular and timely communication with the region by use of correspondence, council meetings and other means as deemed beneficial to the region (e.g., regional newsletter, social media.)
- Serve as Board liaison to a committee or project team as assigned by the President.
- Identify and encourage qualified members to apply for volunteer opportunities (i.e., Conference Planning Committees, Standing Committees, Project Teams, Regional Representative, Director, At-Large Director, Nominating Committee) and recognize and mentor current and potential Association leaders.
Qualifications: The individual selected for this position shall:
- Have successfully served in a leadership position within ALA and have demonstrated a commitment to the mission and goals of ALA.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong ability to prepare and conduct presentations for chapter events, Association Leadership Institute, Chapter Leadership Institute and all other Association events.
- Have the willingness and ability to provide necessary time and energy to the responsibilities and duties described with a positive and professional attitude.
- Have a commitment to professional development and advancing the education mission of ALA; show understanding of the issues relevant to the education of legal management professionals.
- Have the ability to collaborate and fully engage with team members.
- Have the ability to develop and maintain positive partnerships with ALA Members at all levels of the organization and encourage Business Partner participation.
- Have the ability to develop and maintain positive relations with ALA Executive Director and Headquarters Staff.
Call for nominations: Spring
Selections made: Fall
ALA Headquarters Liaison: Nicole Larson