September 18–20, 2019
Boston Park Plaza
C4: The Legal Industry™ Conference is a one-of-a-kind experience that uses design thinking to create solutions in the legal industry. This event focuses on finance, technology and marketing, finding viable solutions for the industry, law firms and legal departments.
Come prepared to solve one of these four statements:
- Pricing and Profitability: How might we identify the necessary data and insights, as well as develop and evangelize best practices, to improve pricing and profitability in any law firm?
- Employee Life Cycle: How might we emphasize the many benefits of diverse perspectives and inclusive culture throughout the employee lifecycle to the maximum benefit of the employee and the firm? (The life cycle ranges from recruiting and onboarding to advancement and offboarding.)
- Client Experience: How might we better understand the client and create more collaborative partnerships between the firm and the clients that lead to improved client service and business success?
- Nontraditional Law Firm: How might we reshape the narrative about the definition of lawyering and the provision of legal services to benefit legal professionals?
- Wednesday, September 18: The conference will open with a "Regi-Ception" from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. We've combined registration with a reception so everyone can pick up their badge, share a beverage and enjoy a bite. This evening is about building relationships and getting to know one another.
- Thursday, September 19: This full day will feature an introduction to design thinking, legal design-thinking case studies, and an overview of the four "How might we ... ?" statements we will address. Everyone will split into four separate groups — one for each statement — and do a deep dive into the questions themselves and how important and how individual teams will develop a solution. Lunch and dinner will be on your own; you'll have a great opportunity to join colleagues and enjoy the city of Boston.
- Friday, September 20: After a recap of Thursday and instructions for the teams, attendees will then break up into small groups (no more than five in a group) to discuss and design a solution to their "How might we ... ?" statement. Each group will choose where they want to go — they have the option to stay in a meeting room, go to any public hotel area like the lobby or a foyer space, or head outside (pending weather). A buffet lunch will be available so groups can eat on their own schedule. The program will end with each team reporting on their solution to the entire group. We'll wrap up at 4 p.m., and you'll have your weekend.
This design-lab-style conference is open to representatives from all sectors of the legal industry; strategic partners of ALA will be invited as well. It will bring together all levels of legal management professionals, lawyers, legal technologists, business development and marketing experts, and others to collaboratively develop solutions to legal industry challenges.
Before C4: The Legal Industry™ Conference, we'll host a Legal Lean Sigma® and Project Management Yellow Belt Certification Course. It will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 17, and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, September 18. Member registration is $1,799. Learn more.
NEW Opportunity: Be a Sponsored Scholarship Recipient!
Earn a $200 refund after conference! How? Register and attend C4: The Legal Industry™ Conference and commit to six prescheduled on-site meetings with exhibitors.* Then, meet with your assigned business partners on-site and turn in your appointment card to have it validated before the final session. Submit your completed, validated appointment card and ALA will refund $200 to you within three weeks after conference. To participate, indicate yes to the question “Interested in being a sponsored scholarship recipient?” when you register. Total number of available Sponsored Scholarships are limited; first-come, first-served based on date and time registration is received.
* Each appointment must be at least five minutes and will be held during coffee and/or meal breaks. One month before conference, you will be sent a list of the sponsoring exhibitors and will have an opportunity to rank your preferences. ALA will do our best to connect you with your first choices however it will depend on the final number of sponsors and recipients. Appointments will be scheduled and confirmed by ALA staff one week prior to the start of the conference.
Thank you to our 2019 C4: The Legal Industry™ Conference Sponsors!
Exhibit and Sponsorship Opportunities
ALA encourages its business partners to get involved at this high-impact event. Any business partner interested in sponsorship opportunities at the C4 Conference, please visit the ALA Business Partner Portal for more information.