CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Deadline to submit: April 15, 2020
The Chapter Leadership Institute (CLI) will be held July 16–18, 2020, at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. This event is consistently ranked among ALA’s top events by attendees. Once again, we are seeking your expertise to help develop the best thought-provoking and engaging ideas for sessions pertinent to not only chapter leadership, but leadership in general.
Possible session topics include:
- Business partner relations
- Chapter finances
- Closing the generational gap
- Communication and presentation skills
- Conducting successful meetings
- Educational programming and/or adult learning
- Increasing meeting/event attendance
- Membership recruitment and engagement
- Succession planning
- And more!
Speakers’ proposals will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Is the topic innovative and relevant?
- Will the session help to elevate ALA, its chapters and individual members within the legal profession?
- Will the session appeal to ALA’s seasoned volunteers as well as those new to their role?
- Is the session well-organized and designed to meet the needs of this particular audience?
- Will the session provide tips and/or tools that attendees can begin using right away?
- Is the session format ideal for this audience? Does it involve participants in meaningful application activities?
It’s recommended that you have the following information easily accessible prior to beginning the submission process:
- Session title
- Session description
- Three or four learning objectives
- List of specific activities (if any) you plan to use throughout the session to engage the audience
- List of co-presenters, including their bios and headshots (up to three are permitted)
What Is CLI?
ALA’s Chapter Leadership Institute (CLI) is an orientation, training and networking event for chapter officers and volunteer leaders. Participants include ALA's Board of Directors, the Chapter Resource Team, chapter leaders, business partners and key members of the headquarters staff. CLI provides a unique opportunity for learning about and strengthening your leadership role, sharing ideas and experiences with colleagues and expanding your network.
Give us your best presentation. You are limited to submitting a maximum of two different session proposals. Please note that in most cases, we limit presenter involvement to no more than two sessions. We suggest that you first develop your submission proposal as a Microsoft Word document, then copy and paste the information into the appropriate sections online. The online form does not have spell check, so editing your information in advance will ensure greater accuracy.
Please note: Presentations cannot be sales pitches. We purposely strive to present sessions that are diverse in nature so that it enriches the learning experience for our members.
Decisions will be made in May and notifications will be issued shortly thereafter.
Honorarium and Reimbursement
Approved speakers will be provided with complimentary registration to the event and a modest stipend to mitigate travel expenses.
Our Mutual Commitment
Presenters agree to:
- Acknowledge they are available to speak during any time frame of the conference and as such will not request a change to the session time frame assigned.
- Work closely and collaboratively with
headquartersstaff to meet all deadlines.
- Not make substantial changes in content or format without approval from the headquarters staff.
- Provide high-quality presentation materials in electronic format by the communicated deadline.
- Recognize that a conference presentation is an opportunity to share information and is not a platform for the promotion of business, practice, service or product.
- Be available for interviews, blog posts, podcasts or other conference activities associated with their expertise as mutually agreed upon.
In turn, ALA will provide presenters with:
- Their evaluation scores after the conference.
- Complimentary registration for the event, including all educational programs, meals
Two submissions per individual/chapter/company.
Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.