Tips to Secure Funding from Your Employer
Your Managing Partner Can’t Afford for You Not to Attend
So many factors go into planning to go to conference, including money, time and resources. You’ll get the tools and techniques to equip you better with everyday business processes and you can pay it forward.
You’re attending ALA’s Annual Conference so you can…
- Stay ahead of the competition with proven strategies and tactics.
- Find market-ready solutions for your firm or department.
- Discover the latest technologies.
- Explore emerging trends and ideas.
- Solve problems and share ideas with peer collaboration.
- Get credit hours for certification from most educational sessions.
- Make important connections with colleagues and business partners.
- Gain actionable information from top leaders on the hottest topics, such as managing the multigenerational workplace, avoiding payroll mistakes and navigating cybersecurity within the office.
You understand the value of attending the Annual Conference this year. But securing funding from your firm or organization might require a little extra effort. That’s why we’ve put together this Justification Toolkit to help you convince your managing partner or supervisor to send you to Grapevine!
7 Strategies for Getting Your Managing Partner’s Approval
The most effective way to gain approval is to focus on what you will bring back to the organization, to demonstrate return on the investment. Here are seven suggestions:
- Make the most cost-effective choice and attend all three days of ALA’s Annual Conference & Expo. Tell your manager that purchasing a full-conference registration will give you access to all conference proceedings.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues or team members to share what you learned (this is where those handouts come in handy). They will benefit from your attendance, too, with new knowledge, skills and techniques that can apply directly to their jobs right away.
- Name some of your current tools, technologies and services that need to be replaced or updated and offer to meet with exhibitors who can fill those needs, potentially at a lower cost for ALA members.
- Name some of your current processes that can be improved by learning and exploring how others handle them. Explain how attending will benefit your work, projects and organization.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
- Offer to share a room to reduce hotel expenses.
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as payback for the investment in your proposal for conference approvals. For example:
- Networking Benefits: ALA’s Annual Conference & Expo will allow [me and/or specific team members] to network with other professionals and vendors in the industry. We will be able to take the pulse of what is happening in tools, technologies and processes and hear new ideas.
- Team-Building Benefits (if sending several people): ALA’s Annual Conference & Expo will help build our team, providing a forum for team members to discuss improvements for our efficiencies, workflow and processes.
Get started with this downloadable spreadsheet of financial considerations. Then, complete one of the following letters to your manager or managing partner according to your area of interest, being sure to customize it where highlighted. Just click your interest area to download the Word file:
We've made it easy to share the news!
Check out the SlideShare presentation below — or on SlideShare's site — for an overview of all that this year's Annual Conference has to offer. Share the presentation with fellow ALA members, other colleagues and peers to encourage them to join us in Grapevine.