FM 1 Course: Law Firm Accounting
Completing both FM 1 and FM 2 courses gives you access to the Legal Management Finance Specialist Certificate Program. Click the link to learn more.Expand your knowledge of the basic functions of accounting and financial management in this facilitated online program where you will objectively approach and address financial problems. Through case studies, lectures, videos, readings, and exams, you will be guided to evaluate presented resources in relation to your professional experiences and apply effective financial decision-making skills. Topics include types of accounts, federal payroll and employee benefit procedures, tax and reporting requirements, and general accounting procedures, laws, and regulations. The following is an outline of the topics:
- Week 1: General Accounting
- Week 2: Banking & Investment
- Week 3: Trust Accounting
- Week 4: Payroll, Taxes, & Reporting
- Week 5: Legal Organization Structures
- Week 6: Special Accounting Issues
The live Zoom lessons will be held on Tuesdays from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Central Time.
These lessons will also be recorded for on-demand access.
Course TextbookA textbook is NOT required for this course. All reading materials will be provided.
Meet minimum course requirements and earn credits towards your CLM application or recertification requirements:
- Functional Specialists: 18 hours in Financial Management
- CLM Recertification: 18 hours in Financial Management, includes 2 hours of Ethics
Course RequirementsEach course has a start and end date. To receive the course completion certificate and CLM credits, all weekly assignments must be completed and quizzes passed with a score of 70% or higher by the last day of the course.
RegistrationFM 1 will occur between July 14 - August 18, 2020
All cancellations must be made in writing and submitted via email to [email protected]. The following cancellation fee scales will apply:
- After registration but prior to 50% penalty date: $125 fee
- Four weeks before start of the course: 50% of fee paid
- Two weeks before the start of the course and thereafter: No refund