Elevate ALA Award Criteria and Guidelines
The Elevate ALA Award recognizes up to three chapters whose efforts in Professional Development, Networking, and Visibility demonstrate advancement in the areas of educational content, member to member and member to business partner relationships, and ALA’s prominence in the legal community.
Any ALA chapter in good standing is eligible to enter. Only one entry will be accepted per chapter. The activities in the submission must have occurred during the chapter's 2017 fiscal year.
A written submission (essay), no more than 1,000 words in length, is required. All criteria included on the evaluation form must be addressed in the essay. In addition, the submission must address all three areas and include the details requested for each area.
Support materials that directly relate to the written narrative may be included. Support materials or samples not referenced in the essay will not be considered. There is no length restriction for support materials.
Section One: Professional Development
This section must describe how the chapter has elevated the educational content provided to its members. Details of any resources committed to elevating the chapter’s professional development content should be provided. Please include:
- The percentage of annual revenues used for overall education offered to all members
- A complete listing of all education offered through the chapter comprised of:
- The date offered
- Length of program
- Resources used (speaker fees and costs, member time spent planning and organizing the session, specifics about how the chapter promoted the educational offering)
- Details on all scholarships/stipends awarded to chapter members to further their professional development including:
- A description of the criteria used for awarding the scholarship/stipend
- The impact on the recipients’ engagement with the chapter and/or ALA
- Total percentage of annual revenue the chapter allocated to professional development scholarships/stipends
- Whether any chapter assistance is offered to those taking the CLM
Section Two: Networking
This section must describe how the chapter has elevated member to member relationships as well as member to business partner relationships. Please provide:
- Details on any events held specifically to strengthen the relationship between members
- Details of all initiatives/events with the business partners that strengthened relationships between ALA, the chapter, and the business partners.
- Describe any impact it has had on the members’ and business partners’ perceived value of ALA
Section Three: Visibility
This section must describe any initiatives the chapter has undertaken to elevate the visibility of ALA in the legal community. Please include:
- Details on specific programs/events along with audiences reached and potential ROI. (This may include participating/attendance at State Bar events, strategic alliances, speaking engagements outside of ALA, marketing campaigns in publications, social media, etc.)
- Details on how the chapter has elevated the recognition of its members, volunteers, CLMs, and business partners within the chapter and/or legal community
A panel of ALA Past Presidents who are currently employed as a legal management professional in either a law firm, legal department or as a consultant to the legal management profession will evaluate all complete submissions. Judges will:
- Take chapter size and available resources into consideration
- Judge each three-part submission as a whole
- Analyze the extent to which the chapter demonstrated elevation in each of the three areas as per the established criteria.
The Elevate ALA Award will be awarded at the Association Awards Gala. Recipients of the Elevate ALA Award will not be notified in advance of the Association Awards Gala announcement.
Written submissions and all supporting documentation should be submitted using the entry form and are due by January 12, 2018. Unless otherwise indicated in the submission materials, headquarters staff will use the currently seated chapter president as the primary point of contact for any questions regarding submissions.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding this award.
Terms and Conditions
- All submissions are final. No additions or changes are permitted to the entry after receipt by ALA Headquarters.
- All entries become property of ALA.
- ALA may reproduce, reprint or highlight the entry either in full or in part in its communications and/or at its events.
- ALA reserves and exercises the right to verify the accuracy of the entry. Supplying inaccurate information may lead to disqualification.
- Awards will be presented only to entrants in good standing.