Announcing Changes to the ALA Awards Program
Earlier this year the ALA Board of Directors appointed a task force to evaluate the Association’s Awards Program. This task force has submitted a variety of recommendations for Board consideration, including:
- Retiring the Founders Award
- Developing one volunteer body to oversee the granting of all awards offered by the Association
- Transitioning the Quest Award to the NextGen Leader Award and enhancing the criteria to allow any member that meets the years of experience required to be eligible, including independent members
- Creating standardized score sheets for the Elevate, IDEA, and NextGen Leader awards to provide consistent and clear logic when identifying recipients
- Enhancing the Presidents’ Award of Excellence program to include an optional component focused on diversity and inclusion efforts
All of these recommendations were recently reviewed by the Board of Directors and approved. Some will be implemented as part of the current awards cycle while others, namely changes to the Presidents’ Award of Excellence program, will not go in effect until the next cycle.
Call for Volunteers
While the work of the task force continues, we are currently seeking volunteers to serve as part of the team that will be identifying award recipients to be recognized as part of ALA's 2020 Annual Conference & Expo in Salt Lake City, Utah. This team will consist of a Chair, Vice Chair and five members and be comprised of ALA members that are familiar with the membership, initiatives and activities of the Association. The team will also be assigned a Board Liaison as well as a Staff Liaison.
Individuals selected to serve on the awards project team will be required to participate in weekly conference calls for up to 90 minutes per call beginning the week of January 20, 2020, through the week of February 24, 2020. Additionally, individuals selected to serve on the team will be deemed ineligible for individual award recognition and excused from any conversations regarding entries submitted by their employer, committee(s), project team(s) or chapter(s).
Individuals interested in volunteering to serve on the Awards Program Project Team should submit an application by November 15, 2019. The task force currently in place will review all applications and submit a recommended slate to the Board of Directors for consideration as part of their December meeting.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.