Legal Management Fundamentals Planning Committee
Description: The committee will work with ALA staff and any contracted third-party vendor(s) to plan the agenda and secure speakers for this two-day event. The target audience for the Legal Management Fundamentals event includes those in the first five years of their legal management career as well as anyone interested in exploring or advancing their career in a management role within a law firm, corporate legal department or government legal agency.
The event will feature subject matter experts who will present a comprehensive program focused on the core competencies and best practices of legal management, divided into five distinct modules:
- Financial Management
- Human Resources Management
- Legal Trends and Operations Management
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility
Composition: The volunteer positions will include a Chair, plus two to three members each having at least five years of experience in legal management. A board and staff liaison will also be assigned to the committee.
Term: The term runs from March 2023 through the post-event report submission (approximately 30 to 45 days after the event).
Note: The event dates have not yet been confirmed but it is expected to take place in September or October of 2023. The location is also TBD.
Expectations and Responsibilities: This committee will begin its planning immediately upon appointment and meet virtually as necessary until the conclusion of the event, including the submission of the post-event report. Committee members are expected to attend and participate in the event and share observations and experiences — including any concerns, successes, future considerations and recommendations — with the Board of Directors.
Qualifications and General Responsibilities:
- Must have attended at least one ALA conference.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to representing the values, mission and strategic direction of the ALA.
- Commitment to adhering to the ALA Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility Statement.
- Continued commitment to professional development and advancing the mission of ALA.
- Commitment to identifying innovative, engaging, real-world business content that appeals to those adult learners and professionals in the first five years of their legal management career.
- Commitment to ensuring that CLM® and other continuing education credits are offered, whenever possible.
- Commitment to delivering creative networking opportunities.
Board Liaison Expectations: The board liaison ensures that the scope of the committee’s work operates within the established charter and aligns with the strategic direction. They also act as a conduit between the committee and the Board of Directors.
Call for Volunteers: This is a special call for volunteers.
ALA Headquarters Liaison: Nicole Larson, CAE