New Member Welcome Notecard Writer
Description: The ALA New Member Welcome Notecard Program was created to welcome and thank new members and provide them with an introduction to a membership organization that provides deep connections and builds relationships. The purpose of sending a handwritten notecard to new members serves to:
- Introduce another component of personal touch to new member welcome communications.
- Foster member awareness and engagement in member retention.
- Promote a welcoming environment and member-to-member connections.
- Promote new member engagement.
This microvolunteer opportunity requires the ongoing creation of handwritten “welcome and thank you” notecards to new members. The notecard writer’s primary responsibility is to write several brief, handwritten welcome messages and return a completed group to ALA headquarters periodically by mail.
Here are the details you’ll need to get started:
- We provide what you need! ALA will send volunteers a supply of cards for you to use. Need some writing inspiration? We’ll also provide you with some scripted content you can use verbatim or as a starting point for your own, personalized message.
- Sending it back to ALA HQ is easy. Once welcome messages have been written, groups of 25 notecards will be returned to ALA headquarters. (We’ll provide you with prepaid, addressed envelopes.) Once ALA staff receives them, each card will be individually addressed and mailed to the new member. The card writer may include a business card and/or an email address in each card to encourage a member-to-member connection.
- Running low on cards? ALA has you covered. We’ll supply blank notecards as needed.
Expectations: The time commitment for this volunteer activity varies based on the number of monthly cards written. It’s estimated each card may take 3 to 5 minutes to write, so 50 cards is equivalent to approximately 2.5 to 4 hours per month.
Please note: This is not an opportunity to sell a product or service. It’s merely a chance to welcome new members into the ALA fold.
Eligibility: You must be an ALA member to participate in this program. If you have an interest in reaching new members — and can provide a consistent, monthly commitment to this — we encourage you to volunteer.
Term: One year, renewable
Appointments per year: Open
Individuals interested in serving as a New Member Welcome Notecard Writer should contact [email protected].