Mission Statement: The goals for the ALA Membership Ambassador Program are to welcome new members to ALA, develop a relationship with new members and provide them with an immediate peer connection, ensure new members understand how to access and utilize ALA member benefits and potentially increase consumption of ALA products and services and ALA member retention rates.
Description: The Ambassador is an enthusiastic and welcoming member of ALA who helps new members feel comfortable, enjoys sharing and gaining knowledge and understands, embraces and articulates the value of belonging to ALA. The Ambassador is also well-versed in the Association’s products, services and opportunities available to members so they can provide guidance and direction to address new members’ needs. This volunteer opportunity does not require in-person meetings, though the Ambassadors are encouraged to work together to support the needs of new members. There is a formal evaluation process for Ambassadors to ensure consistent mentorship of new members.
Introductory Telephone Calls
1. Within the first thirty (30) days of a new member joining ALA or opting into the Program, an Ambassador has a brief telephone call with this individual.
2. Within the first sixty (60) days of a new member joining ALA or opting into the Program, the same Ambassador will have a second telephone call with the new member.
3. Within the first ninety (90) days of a new member joining ALA or opting into the Program, the same Ambassador will have a second telephone call with the new member.
4. After the third telephone call has taken place, the Ambassador and new member will choose how often (but not less than quarterly) and by what means future communications occur.
Engagement at in-person ALA events
1. The Ambassador will distribute a list of resources (to be developed by the ALA Membership Development Committee) for new members/first-time attendees.
2. The Ambassador will help review session offerings, where applicable, to assist participating Program members to better plan their new member/first-time attendee experience.
3. When an Ambassador is able to attend an in-person event, he/she will arrange to meet with Program participants (inclusive of peer Ambassadors) immediately before and/or during the event to further connect with and provide guidance, assistance and engagement to new members/first-time attendees, e.g., exploring the Expo Hall together. If an Ambassador is unable to attend an in-person event, he/she will advise the ALA Membership Development Committee members managing the Program so another Ambassador can provide the in-person connections, etc. in his/her place.
Term: 2 years
Appointments per year: Varies
In-Person Meetings / Expectations: The Ambassador will first participate in video and/or telephonic training conducted by a member of the ALA Membership Development Committee. The Ambassador will then be assigned approximately five (5) to ten (10) new members and shall “check in” periodically with each assigned new member during the next twelve (12) months by following the new member communication timeline. The Ambassador may conduct group meetings and can utilize whatever form of communication works best for the Ambassador and new member. The Ambassador will be responsible for logging all interactions with assigned new members on a provided spreadsheet/template and submitting the same to managing ALA Membership Development Committee members monthly. The Ambassador is also encouraged to attend the ALA Annual Conference & Exposition whenever possible and participate in all new member and/or first-time attendee events held therein. (Attendance at additional in-person ALA events is encouraged, as well.) In instances where Ambassadors are not able to attend the ALA Annual Conference & Exposition, managing ALA Membership Development Committee members will work with at-home Ambassadors to create opportunities to connect with new members also not attending the ALA Annual Conference & Exposition.
Eligibility: An Ambassador must have at least three (3) years of consecutive ALA membership experience. Active members of the ALA Membership Development Committee are excluded from volunteering to serve as Ambassadors while serving on the Committee.
Call for volunteers: Ongoing
Selections made: Ongoing
Individuals interested in serving as an ambassador should contact [email protected].