Submission and Selection Process
ALA's conferences fuel the development and advancement of legal industry professionals by providing both proven solutions and innovative thinking in an inviting and exciting environment. Conference attendees connect with talented, diverse, and engaged presenters and colleagues who share their experience and expertise generously. We are seeking your creative participation in designing conferences that optimize learning by providing the very best, high-level, relevant, and thought-provoking ideas pertinent to the business of running a law firm.
A legal administrator is the business manager of a law firm. 90% of the audience will be administrators of law firms, while 5% will be legal administrators of a corporate or government law department. Most of our members are NOT lawyers.
Proposals will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Is the topic innovative and relevant?
- Has the presenter(s) received positive ratings in the past?
- Will the session appeal to seasoned administrators and managing partners?
- Is the session well organized and designed to meet the needs of this particular audience?
- Is the learning format new? Does it involve participants in meaningful application activities?
Give us your best presentation. You are limited to submitting a maximum of 3 different session proposals for each conference. Please note that in most cases we limit presenters to being involved in no more than two sessions per conference. We suggest that you first develop your submission proposal in Word and then copy and paste the information into the appropriate sections online. The online form does not have spell check so editing your information in advance will ensure greater accuracy.
- Presentations cannot be sales pitches.
- We purposely strive to present conference education that is diverse in nature so that it enriches the learning experience for our members.
2015 Business of Law Conferences (when submitting a presentation for ALA's Fall Business of Law Conferences, please be aware that the content will be the same in all cities, and presented by the same, top-notch speakers. Check your calendar to make sure you are available for all dates) Submissions are accepted between December 1, 2014 through January 31, 2015. Each submission is being reviewed by the conference committees and staff. You will be notified in late spring of 2015 regarding the status of your submission.
Honorarium & reimbursement policy:
All speakers will receive complimentary conference registration on the day of their presentation
Hotel: ALA staff will arrange hotel accommodations which will be billed to the ALA Master Account for the night before a speaker's presentation. An additional night may be pre-approved for exceptional circumstances.
Honorarium, if requested: will include all other (non-hotel) expenses. Honorarium amounts will be based by policy per the length of the session and multiplied by each location.
- 60-90 Minutes
- Up to 3 hours
- Over 3 hours
2015 Business Of Law Conference Dates
- Central - New Orleans, LA September 10 - 12, 2015
- East - Atlanta, GA October 1 - 3, 2015
- West - Las Vegas, NV October 22 - 24, 2015
2016 Annual Conference - Submissions are accepted between December 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Each submission is being reviewed by the conference committees and staff. You will be notified in the fall of 2015 regarding the status of your submission.
Honorarium & reimbursement policy: Information will be provided once the policy has been approved by the ALA Board of Directors, anticipated to be adopted in January 2015. Applicants who submit prior to a policy decision will be advised as soon as the final policy is available.
2016 Annual Conference Date
- Los Angeles Convention Center, CA May 22-25, 2016
Learn more about the ALA conferences listed above by reading the Event Snapshots for Speakers.
- We expect presenters to acknowledge they are available to speak during any timeframe of the conference and as such will not request a change to the session timeframe assigned.
- We expect presenters to work closely with the conference committee to meet all deadlines.
- We expect presenters to not make substantial changes in content, or format without approval from the conference committee.
- We expect presenters to provide high-quality presentation materials in electronic format, by the communicated deadline.
- We expect presenters to recognize that a conference presentation is an opportunity to share information and is not a platform for the promotion of business, practice, service or product.
- We expect presenters to be available for interviews, blog posts, podcasts or other conference activities associated with their expertise as mutually agreed upon.
In turn ALA will:
- Provide you with your evaluation scores after the conference.
- Provide you with expense/honorariums per event policy (As a non-for-profit organization, we appreciate contributors who are willing to share their expertise without expectation of an honorarium. We guarantee that you will receive valuable professional exposure.)
- Provide complimentary registration for the conference on the day of your presentation, including admission to the Business Solutions Marketplace (exposition hall), educational programs and social events. Pre-Conference workshops and Certificate Programs are the exceptions.
Limit: 3 submissions per conference
If you have a question or problem with your submission, please contact us.