Submission and Selection Process
ALA's conferences fuel the development and advancement of legal industry professionals by providing both proven solutions and innovative thinking in an inviting and exciting environment. Conference attendees connect with talented, diverse, and engaged presenters and colleagues who share their experience and expertise generously. We are seeking your creative participation in designing conferences that optimize learning by providing the very best, high-level, relevant, and thought-provoking ideas pertinent to the legal administration profession.
A legal administrator is the business manager of a law firm. 90% of the audience will be administrators of law firms, while 5% will be legal administrators of a corporate or government law department. Most of our members are NOT lawyers.
Proposals will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Is the topic innovative and relevant?
- Has the presenter(s) received positive ratings in the past?
- Will the session appeal to seasoned administrators and managing partners?
- Is the session well organized and designed to meet the needs of this particular audience?
- Is the learning format new? Does it involve participants in meaningful application activities?
Give us your best presentation. You are limited to submitting a maximum of 3 session proposals per conference. Please note that in most cases we limit presenters to being involved in no more than two sessions per conference. We suggest that you first develop your submission proposal in Word and then copy and paste the information into the appropriate sections online. The online form does not have spell check so editing your information in advance will ensure greater accuracy.
- Presentations cannot be sales pitches.
- We purposely strive to present conference education that is diverse in nature so that it enriches the learning experience for our members.
2014 Business of Law Conferences (when submitting a presentation for ALA's Fall Business of Law Conferences, please
be aware that the content will be the same in all four cities. Check your calendar to make sure you are available for all four dates) and
Human Resources Management Conference for Legal Professionals - Submissions were accepted between February 24 and March 31, 2014. Each submission is being reviewed by the conference committees and staff.
You will be notified in June 2014 regarding the status of your submission.
2015 Annual Conference - Submissions were accepted between February 24 and May 31, 2014. Each submission is being reviewed by the conference committees and staff. You will be notified in September 2014 regarding the status of your submission.
2014 Business of Law Conferences
- Portland, OR September 4-6, 2014
- Chicago, IL September 11-13, 2014
- Dallas/ Ft. Worth, TX October 6-8, 2014
- Philadelphia, PA October 27-29, 2014
2014 Human Resource Management Conference for Legal Professionals
- Las Vegas, NV November 3-5, 2014
2015 Annual Conference
- Nashville, TN May 17-20, 2015
Learn more about the ALA conferences listed above by reading the Event Snapshots for Speakers.
- We expect presenters to acknowledge they are available to speak during any timeframe of the conference and as such will not request a change to the session timeframe assigned.
- We expect presenters to work closely with the conference committee to meet all deadlines.
- We expect presenters to not make substantial changes in content, or format without approval from the conference committee.
- We expect presenters to provide high-quality presentation materials in electronic format, by the communicated deadline.
- We expect presenters to recognize that a conference presentation is an opportunity to share information and is not a platform for the promotion of business, practice, service or product.
- We expect presenters to be available for interviews, blog posts, podcasts or other conference activities associated with their expertise as mutually agreed upon.
In turn ALA will:
- Provide you with your evaluation scores after the conference.
- Reimburse expenses (coach airfare, meals, ALA secured lodging)
- Provide complimentary registration for the conference on the day of your presentation, including admission to the Legal Marketplace (exposition hall), educational programs and social events. Pre-Conference workshops and Certificate Programs are the exceptions.
- We look for contributors who are willing to share their expertise. We know many professional speakers require an honorarium and there is a place to note that in the presentation submittal form. We also realize that there are presenters that want to share their expertise without expectation of an honorarium. In either case you will receive valuable professional exposure in the spirit of networking.
Limit: 3 submissions per conference
If you have a question or problem with your submission, please contact us.