Benefits of Membership
Membership in ALA offers opportunities for:
- Knowledge sharing and networking opportunities (locally, regionally, nationally and internationally)
- Professional recognition
- Chapter and leadership support (substantive educational tools, idea exchanges and workshops to educate chapter leaders)
- and a whole host of resources and opportunities for professional development - see more about all of ALA's member benefits below.
For an overview of all Education Events see the Education area on this site.
- Certified Legal Manager (CLM)SM Program provides members the opportunity to measure their knowledge and help raise professional standards. The certification assessment process includes meeting educational and experience requirements and passing an examination that tests knowledge of 56 key competencies.
- Annual Conference & Exposition - This ALA Annual Conference is the legal management profession’s most comprehensive event of its kind. Featuring more than 100 educational sessions focusing on legal industry trends and developments, unparalleled networking opportunities and a three-day Exposition, the Annual Conference brings together more than 3,000 legal management professionals, business partners and experts from around the world.
- Regional Conferences - ALA's six regions host smaller and shorter annual conferences of their own, which also provide great educational sessions and create a support network of colleagues and vendors from around their region.
- Retreats and Specialized Programs - ALA's educational opportunities include a wide range of retreats and specialized programs that will enhance and broaden your legal management knowledge base. You can find more information about each of these programs in the Education area of this site, or for specific, current program information, see Meetings and Events on this site. Included in this lineup of special programs are the Essential Competencies for Legal Administrators, Law Firm Financial Management Conference, Large Firm Principal Administrators Retreat, and the IP Conference for Legal Professionals.
- ALA Webinars - gives members, lawyers and their staff the opportunity to gain knowledge and insight into a variety of law office management and personal development topics. The Webinars, presented live by subject-matter experts, allow participants to sit in their own offices, conference rooms or even their own homes as they listen by phone and view via the Internet.
Whether you are a legal administrator, support manager, managing partner, solo practitioner, or other functional specialist in your legal organization, you will find that ALA’s large family of publications offers a variety of unique articles, insights, and information to meet your professional development needs.
The ALA Bookstore offers, at discounted rates to members, a collection of informative resources prepared by experts, all designed to increase productivity, profitability, and quality of services. The Bookstore also carries a variety of logo products.
Books are available for legal management professionals on the following topics:
- human resources
- total quality management
ALA's Value in Partnership (VIP)SM Program (discounts/special benefits from the following organizations)
- ABA Retirement Funds
- Affinity Consulting Group
- Allied Van Lines
- GLJ Benefit Consultants, Inc.
- Hanover Lawyer's Professional Liability Insurance
- National Pension Professionals (NPP)
- Principal Life Insurance Company
- Principal Life Insurance Company
- Grand & Toy (Canada Only)
- The Gunlocke Company (Office Furniture)
- OfficeMax® Legal Solutions
- Robert Half Legal
- Thomson Reuters myPay Solutions
- United Parcel Service
ALA Management SolutionsSM
is a free reference service for ALA members. Its purpose is to help you find targeted information and answers to legal management questions.
Reference Desk is run by full-time ALA staff members with extensive research skills and experience in law office management. These researchers have access to the Association's ever-growing database of legal management information. They use a systematic approach to understand your questions, conduct research and deliver information and resources to help you tackle most law office management issues.
Peer Consulting works on the theory that a fellow legal administrator can be one of the best resources for answering your work-related questions.
The Extraordinary Law Firm Initiative is built upon a very special purpose-the promise that ALA can improve its members' return on their investments in the Association by helping them bring more values to their employing organizations and empowering them to make their organizations great places to work for everyone who works there. A tall order indeed-and one we have been building upon each year through our publications, educational offerings, and expert guidance.
The Legal Management Resource Center (LMRC) is an online Internet-based resource available to help you answer today's most pressing legal management questions.
Resources available through ALA's Career Center/Job Bank:
- Job Seekers - Job Bank Resources, including job ads available any day, any time and resume posting.
- Employers - Job Bank Resources, including blind box ads and online ad posting.
- Peer Consulting Directory - peer experts to assist ALA members with their hiring and career needs.
- Career Talk - a monthly article supplied by Robert Half Legal®, with a wide range of career-related subject matter.
- Hiring a Legal Administrator? - for prospective employers.
- Additional Career Resources, including articles from Robert Half Legal®, and other links and information pertaining to your career needs.
When looking for products and services in the legal industry, make ALA's Legal Marketplace your first stop.
As a professional organization, ALA takes its role as a corporate citizen seriously. ALA members have tremendous individual talents and skills that can be applied to making a difference not just in their law firms and within the Association, but also in their broader communities.
ALA's Community Connection program helps them do this and to provide a focus for chapter community service. ALA encourages its chapters to conduct a single project or a yearlong series of projects that address challenges that their communities face.
Participation in Community Connection is not just limited to chapters and its members-friends, family members, others in members' law firms and business partners are welcome to join forces to help make a difference in the lives of others.
Members, staff, educators, consultants, and vendors willingly share their accumulated knowledge, wisdom and experience with others. Although much of this sharing occurs informally-during lunch at a chapter meeting, over the phone, in the hallway at a conference- ALA also provides programs and people to help get questions answered.
The ALA Membership Resource Directory will help you meet Industry Colleagues through networking opportunities provided at chapter meetings and other ALA events; join online discussion forums or electronic roundtables covering the subjects that interest you. The Peer Consulting Database located in the Legal Management Resource Center (LMRC) Home Community is an excellent resource as well.
Also, take advantage of ALA's Regional Management Teams and the Headquarters staff. These people have the knowledge and experience to help, and if they can't answer your questions, they can usually find someone who can.
Diversity is reflected in a number of ways: race, religion, gender, ableism and cultural behaviors. To operate and manage effectively with these demographics, ALA's diversity initiative is designed to increase awareness of and sensitivity to the differences among our workforce, and to advance the concepts of inclusiveness and acceptance.
Professional Legal Management WeekSM (PLMW) provides a forum for recognizing those in legal management for what they do and the role they play in the success of the organization, and in its service to its clients and those who work in the organization.
The Foundation of the Association of Legal Administrators is an education and research affiliate of ALA dedicated to supporting activities that advance legal management and service to the legal profession and community.
This newsletter about law firm management trends and innovations is provided exclusively to all ALA members via e-mail. Featuring a comprehensive redesign for 2009, ALA Currents is disseminated twice a month (24 times per year, typically on the first and third Thursdays of each month) as an HTML e-mail and is a “must-read” for principal administrators around the world.
When needing answers to legal management problems, turn to the ALA Management EncyclopediaSM . The Encyclopedia provides comprehensive and timely original articles on legal management topics such as financial management, marketing, strategic planning, human resources and more.
ALA Management SolutionsSM is a full time reference service and information
resource. Staffed by research specialists, the Management Solutions team will provide clear,
detailed and on-point responses to your legal management questions often within
one business day. Prepared "research studies" are immediately accessible for the most
frequently asked management questions.
Resources and services from nationally known companies. ALA members,
their employers and their families have the opportunity to enjoy the savings or special benefits these programs provide.
Many useful tools are available to create, guide and develop an effective chapter of ALA.
Technology A bulletin board for technology issues in law firms, corporate legal
departments and similar organizations.
Human Resources A bulletin board for
human resources issues in law firms, corporate legal department and similar organizations.
ALA Open Forum A bulletin Board to share ideas, pose
questions and seek solutions on almost any issue relating to legal administration and management.
Each month, ALA posts a commonly industry asked question. A short summary of the answer is
provided, along with links to content in the Legal Management Resource Center (LMRC) where you will
find many resources that will address the question posed.