Preconference Workshop: Legal Lean Sigma® and Project Management Yellow Belt Certification Course
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018, from 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018, from 8 a.m.–4:15 p.m.
Location: Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in the Chesapeake 4-6 room
This two-day program includes lectures, exercises, simulations, videos, discussions, group and table-team work, and demonstrations covering key Process Improvement (PI) methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma), tools, and concepts, and the stages of Project Management (PM).
The course is constructed so that each table-team selects a legal or business process to use for the workshop components of the course and then engages in exercises that facilitate the ability to learn and apply concepts and tools in the context of that process. We incorporate examples and case studies from law firms and legal departments to enhance understanding
After the program, all candidates who successfully complete the course will receive their Yellow Belt Certification in Legal Lean Sigma® and Project Management from the Legal Lean Sigma Institute.
- Understand the basic concepts and terminology associated with processes, process improvement
- Articulate the case for carrying out process improvement
systematicallyand the benefits of combining Lean Sigma and project management within a law firm or legal department
- Describe the key process improvement toolkits (Lean, Six Sigma) and the main concepts behind each as well as alternative approaches (Kaizens, Legal WorkOut®)
- Understand the key stages of project management
- Communicate the structure and key deliverables in the five phases (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) of executing a process improvement project and the key deliverables required in each
- Know the major steps and most common tools used in each phase of a project
- Apply common tools used in project management
- Understand financial aspects of project management, including budgeting, total cost of ownership, and scope changes
- Know what is required to move beyond carrying out process improvements opportunistically
There is an additional fee for this pre-conference workshop that includes both day one and day two:
Timothy Corcoran is a Principal with the Corcoran Consulting Group. He advises law firm leaders, in-house counsel and legal service providers on how to profit during a time of great change. This includes assisting law firm leaders with business strategy — primarily in the areas of operational excellence and business growth — and assisting in-house counsel with the development and management of preferred provider programs. He also advises legal service providers on market dynamics and sales force readiness. Additionally, Corcoran is an expert on law firm and in-house counsel relations and is a popular lecturer on business development and operational issues.
Catherine Alman MacDonagh teaches and provides training and consulting services in process improvement and project management, strategic planning, marketing and business development. A Legal Lean Sigma Black Belt and a certified Six Sigma Green Belt, MacDonagh is the Chief Executive Officer and a Founder of the Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI). A former corporate counsel and law firm executive, she is now an adjunct professor at Suffolk Law School and at George Washington University's Masters in Law Firm Management
- 870 Minutes or 14.5 Hours
- CLM App Management Category -FS: Operations Management
- CPE Field of Study: Business Management & Organization
- CLE: Law Practice Management